Do you think any of these solutions are the best 

 

Lisa Speaks! Motherhood Before and After Losing 166 Pounds

Lisa Harris of Clementon, NJ, was a self-proclaimed “yo-yo” dieter her whole life. Moved by her father’s dying request to get healthy, Harris had gastric bypass surgery at Penn Medicine with Alan Schuricht, MD, FACS.

Springtime is a reminder of new beginnings. Dormant trees wake up, migrating birds return, and we begin celebrating important things, such as honoring special women on Mother’s Day.

In August, 2010, shortly after my father passed away, I took my two teenagers on an impromptu vacation to an amusement park about three hours away. I didn’t realize the physical toll it would take on me. I made sure that we left the hotel extra early each morning so we could get to the park well before it opened. My reason was simple: Get the best parking spot possible so I didn’t have to walk so far.

Unfortunately, the walking inside the park was worse than any parking lot. At least the parking lots were flat. In the park I had to deal with hills and steps. Day one was exhausting. By day two, I’d pulled my dad’s cane out of my car and was using that for assistance. I watched as my kids rode roller coasters and other thrill rides. Many of the rides had a “test seat” near the entrance, so people of questionable size could try before they waited in the long lines. I tried one seat with dismal results, and decided that I would try no others. I could feel people staring at me.

Lisa, 3 weeks post-op.
My obesity was embarrassing to me, and though they never said it, I’m sure it was embarrassing to my children. I purposely avoided activities at their schools so their friends wouldn’t see me. As a mother who wanted to be very involved in her children’s lives, my self-imposed exile hurt all of us in one way or another.

Less than nine months later, I was on an operating table in Pennsylvania Hospital, in the skilled hands of Dr. Alan Schuricht. My gastric bypass was done a couple weeks before Mother’s Day in 2011. I was three weeks post-op when my daughter attended her senior prom. When we took pictures before the prom, I half hid behind her. Less than two years later, I was able to fit into her prom gown!

Lisa - in her daughter's dress!
Since then, I’ve adopted a new, healthier lifestyle. Just last weekend, I accompanied my son’s high school percussion team on a trip to Wildwood, NJ. On Saturday morning, I decided to go to a local convenience store to get fruit for my breakfast. My smart phone told me it was .4 miles from the motel. Drive or walk? No brainer! I walked it. My car remained parked from the time I arrived in Wildwood until the trip was over. I walked everywhere I needed to go.

I recently passed the two-year mark from my surgery. Since then, I’ve lost 166 lbs. I look back on years past and sometimes it saddens me, realizing how much of my kids’ childhoods that I purposely missed. Now that I’ve entered a new phase of my life, I’m determined to never again let my weight be an issue. I’m finally able to keep up with my kids. Sometimes they can’t keep up with me! I’m trying to influence them to lead healthier lives too, with less processed foods and a LOT less fast food, and more fruit and vegetables. Together, we’re a healthier, more active family.

My new life means that I’ll be around for many more Mother’s Days. Every weight-related health issue I had is now gone. Best of all, I’m not afraid to be out in public anymore!

Lose Weight at Penn Medicine

When Lisa decided to gain her health for good, she took the first step by joining an information session about weight-loss surgery at Penn.

You, too, can learn about medical weight loss in Philadelphia, and the Penn Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery Program at a free information session about weight-loss surgery in Philadelphia.

There, you will hear about your weight-loss surgery options, and how Penn can help you lose weight and get healthy for good.

Register for a free information session today.

No comments:

Post a Comment