Do you think any of these solutions are the best 

 

150 Pounds Gone with Penn Medicine

It was a day that was supposed to be filled with joy and excitement for her granddaughter, who was graduating from Junior high school. For Robyn Irving, it was a joyous day, but it was also one that was filled with embarrassment.

“I was in the auditorium, looking for a place to sit that would accommodate my 397-pound body,” remembers Robyn. “I attempted to squeeze into one of the seats, but was unable to fit. I felt so embarrassed. A member of the school staff placed an armless chair in the back of the auditorium for me. There I sat far away from the graduation program barely able to see and hear my granddaughter at such a proud moment in her life."

A week later at a routine check-up, Robyn’s family physician told her she was borderline diabetic, and that her blood pressure was extremely high.

“That diagnosis scared me,” she says. “I knew I needed help. I wanted to live.”

Advice From A Friend

Robyn’s co-worker had gastric bypass surgery at Penn Medicine, and offered her advice and support when Robyn asked her about her experience.

“After that conversation, I made an appointment for a consultation with Dr. Williams, who felt I was a good candidate for gastric bypass surgery,” she says.

Robyn struggled with her weight most of her life. She tried popular weight-loss programs and even diet pills. “I would always get off to a great start,” she notes, “but then I would just gain the weight back plus more.”

With the support of her primary care physician, Robyn began her journey to heath.

Bypass: Before and After

At 58, Robyn was 397 pounds and was wearing a size 6X in scrubs that were specially ordered for her at her job at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.

But it wasn’t the size of her clothing or number on a scale she set her sights on, it was the seat belt in her car.

“At almost 400 pounds, I couldn’t fasten it,” she says. “It was a daily reminder that my weight was not only a health concern, but a safety one as well.”

Robyn had gastric bypass surgery on January 9, 2012, and since that date, she has seen many milestones.

"I am so grateful to have had a wonderful team of nurse practitioners, and nutritionist who helped me through every milestone that waited ahead of me," says Robyn.

“So far, I have lost 150 pounds, my pre-diabetes status is gone, and my blood pressure is normal,” she says. “I take great delight at being able to buckle my seat belt in my car now.”

Robyn also enjoys taking Zumba classes, walking, line dancing and working out at the gym with her daughter.

“I’ve discovered new foods too,” she says. “Spaghetti squash is one of my favorite things to make. I just cut up some chicken breast to have with it, and throw some low sodium tomato sauce on top for a great meal. Learning to shop and read labels at the supermarket has been a great experience also.”

Everyone is proud of Robyn, including her granddaughter whose graduation ceremony inspired the healthy lifestyle change.

“I had great support teams from my family, friends and church family who encouraged me and cheered me on when I needed that extra push to stay in it to win it. I shared my story in church and was able to show them my journey from the 6X scrubs,” says Robyn.

“Thank You Penn Medicine. I am blessed to have had the chance to change my life and find health again.”

Lose Weight at Penn Medicine

Penn can help you lose weight for good. 

Learn about medical weight loss in Philadelphia, and the Penn Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery Program at a free information session about weight-loss surgery in Philadelphia.

There, you will hear about your weight-loss surgery options, and how Penn can help you lose weight and get healthy for good.

Register for a free information session today.

No comments:

Post a Comment