Do you think any of these solutions are the best 

 

Lisa Speaks: Dating Before and After Weight Loss

Lisa Harris of Clementon, NJ, was a self-proclaimed “yo-yo” dieter her whole life. Moved by her father’s dying request to get healthy, Harris had gastric bypass surgery at Penn Medicine with Alan Schuricht, MD, FACS. This article is the first of two installments that discuss Lisa’s struggles with weight and self esteem, and how those impacted her relationships.

This is the first installment of a two-part blog…. I have so much to say on dating, relationships, and self-worth that a single entry wasn’t enough!

One thing I know for sure: Obese people are self-conscious. Sometimes, that awareness of appearance can cause a lot of difficulty in a person’s life. They can become reclusive, and lose interest in outside activities for fear of being seen, whispered about and even ridiculed. I know, I used to be there.

I lived a life of exile, hiding inside my house, hiding behind other people in pictures, hiding my feelings of self-loathing, and just plain hiding. I know I was in a pattern of self-destructive behavior. The worst part of all was loneliness.

Before I turned 30, I was divorced with two young children. I spent years following my divorce building a career to a point where I could financially support my family on my own, and I was able to purchase my own home. As the years progressed after that, I took comfort in food more often and ignored my rising weight. It was at the age of 43, with my father’s dying wish for me to be healthy -- and his subsequent death -- that finally gave me the motivation to take back control of my life. I didn’t realize that there was still something missing.

I’ve never been one to frequent the bar scene, and with the rise of Internet dating websites, I registered for several of them. I enjoyed the anonymity, and I particularly liked that I could hide my appearance. Sure, my profiles had a picture, but it was a headshot, carefully staged to conceal how heavy I really was. For sure nobody would want to date me the way I looked!

I’m guilty of compensating for this by entering into relationships for the wrong reasons and taking the attitude of “I’m lucky he’ll have me.”

After a particularly bad, and thankfully short-lived, relationship ended in 2009, I recognized how I was damaging myself and further retreated into my own darkness.

Flash forward to 2012… Even after losing a substantial amount of weight, I still struggled with self-esteem issues. My 19-year-old daughter encouraged me to join a social networking site she’d been using. “To make new friends,” she said. I thought, “OK. I can always use people to talk to.” I signed up, cautiously optimistic. I had an updated picture that was used as my main profile shot. I started adding friends, commenting on statuses and pictures, and soon had amassed a small network that began building my confidence.

To my surprise, there were a few men out there that wanted to meet me in person. I was careful in selecting who I would meet. I went out on a couple dates and it dawned on me that the only one disappointed in my appearance was me. It’s human nature to be your own worst critic. I chose to not discuss my surgery with those I dated initially. It’s a delicate subject to broach and when meeting new people, I’ve found that “Hi, I used to weigh 357 lbs!” is NOT a good opening line. While I dated a few times, no one really made that much of an impression to go beyond a couple meetings.

Next time: You’ll never believe what happened! 

How do YOU feel about relationships and dating? Do you think your weight affects your views?


Lose Weight at Penn Medicine


Penn can help you lose weight.

Learn about medical weight loss in Philadelphia, and the Penn Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery Program at a free information session about weight-loss surgery in Philadelphia.

There, you will hear about your weight-loss surgery options, and how Penn can help you lose weight and get healthy for good.

Register for a free information session today.

No comments:

Post a Comment