Do you think any of these solutions are the best 

 

On Her Way After Gastric Bypass Surgery

Lisa Harris of Clementon, NJ, was a self-proclaimed “yo-yo” dieter her whole life. Moved by her father’s dying request to get healthy, Harris had gastric bypass surgery at Penn Medicine with Alan Shuricht, MD, FACS.In this blog post, she discusses traveling. And how she is on her way.

I’m on my way, both figuratively and literally.

Figuratively, I’m on my way into a brand new life. I’ve been given a second chance, something that not everyone gets in life. My second chance has come by way of gastric bypass surgery. In early 2011, I tipped the scales at 357 lbs. May 2, 2011 started my journey with my surgery.

I remember the sense of calm I had that day. When I was checking in to Pennsylvania Hospital, I felt an arm wrap around me. It was my surgeon, Dr. Schuricht. He asked me if I was ready for my new life to begin. I hugged him back and replied with an enthusiastic YES! He told me to hurry up and check in because he would be downstairs waiting for me. As I was prepped for surgery and wheeled into the operating room, everyone was amazed at how calm I was. It was almost a feeling of Zen. I had complete faith in Dr. Schuricht. And thus began my new life.

Since my surgery, I’ve lost 161 pounds. I’m still losing, albeit slowly. From a percentage standpoint, I’ve lost 45 percent of my starting weight. Size wise, I’ve gone from a size 28 to a size 12.

Twelve.

I wore a size 18 when I was a freshman in high school! It’s still surreal sometimes, knowing that I can walk into almost any store and find clothing that will fit me.

One of the biggest changes to take place since my surgery is my job. I have been with the same company for 14 years. Up until June of this year, I was performing the same job. And in June, everything changed. I was offered a promotion, an exciting new job that leverages my experience with our industry and software, and gives me a very high profile in the company. Sometimes I wonder if I would have been given this promotion if I still weighed 350 pounds.

So now, the literal part of “on my way.” As I write this, I am in the air, high over the United States.

Seatbelt is fastened-no extender!
I’m headed to a major Midwest city for a software conference. My seatbelt is fastened. There’s about 10” of “tail” from the seatbelt’s latch. The last time I flew, which was in 2000, I needed a seatbelt extender. I probably should have had two, but I couldn’t muster up the courage to ask for a second one, so I sucked in as much as I could and persevered. This time, the slender woman next to me didn’t even bat an eyelash that I’d be sitting right next to her.

The only issue I’ve had so far was with my carry-on bag and getting through security. Apparently protein bars and Miralax look odd in X-ray scans! My luggage was searched, I explained to the TSA agent that the bottle contained powder and not a liquid, and they re-scanned everything just to check. Nothing was confiscated and I was free to go!

My trip is Monday to Wednesday. I’ve packed protein bars (eight to be exact). These are an emergency measure, a bariatric safety net if you will. This way I can always have a bar or two in my purse in case the food provided at the conference is not something that I can eat. I haven’t had many food-related issues since my surgery. Hopefully I won’t have any issues but I’m prepared just in case.

I also ran a quick Internet check to find a drug store near the hotel where I’m staying, as another just-in-case measure. This was in case the TSA took my Miralax, or if I need any other medication. I’ve already needed a protein bar as my flight was delayed and my pouch can get grumpy if I don’t eat on time.

It’s another hour in the air before I reach my destination. I have a gorgeous dress and 5-inch heels to wear to the dinner reception tonight.

I love my new life!

Are you ready to change your life? 

Learn how Penn Medicine can help you lose weight, gain health and get back to a healthier lifestyle.

Attend a free, weight-loss surgery information session at Penn.

No comments:

Post a Comment