Do you think any of these solutions are the best 

 

150 Pounds Gone - I Feel Fabulous and Unstoppable!

Jackie Savoy, is a 47-year-old working mom of three. Her weight-loss surgery was performed by David Wernsing, MD, at Penn in February 2011. Here, she talks about how a sleeve gastrectomy procedure helped her lose almost 150 pounds and is helping her cross things off of her “bucket list.”

I chose to have bariatric surgery as a last resort for regaining my life. I’d been overweight ever since I was a child. As a mom and wife, I always put everyone else’s needs before mine. I decided it was time to do something for me and my health so that I could be the joyful, healthy person I wanted to be.

I weighed 328 pounds before I began my weight-loss journey with the Penn Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Program, and today I credit the program’s team with saving my life.

Happy – On the Outside

Before surgery, I was happy on the outside.

Logistically, I tried to mask the fact my weight affected my lifestyle. I hated airplanes and avoided amusement parks because I was always fearful I wouldn’t fit in a seat or on a ride. I dreaded going to restaurants, because I worried if I had to go to the bathroom, I wouldn’t have enough room to move through the tables. And going to my kids’ schools for “Back to School Night” was a nightmare because I could never fit into the school seats.

I stopped going to my family physician because I was so afraid he would lecture me and tell me to go on a diet. When I finally did go, I learned I had hypertension and needed medication.

Through a sleep study, I also found out I had severe sleep apnea. In fact, while “sleeping” for eight hours, I learned I had only really been sleeping four hours because my breathing had stopped more than 150 times during the night. It’s a miracle I never fell asleep at the wheel of my car.

Finally, as a certified public accountant, I worried my clients wouldn’t trust my knowledge or professionalism. I was fearful everyone was judging me and my professional capabilities based on my weight.

A Team Approach to Weight-loss Surgery

I went to a weight-loss surgery information session at Penn Medicine without telling anyone because I knew this was a decision I needed to make on my own. I was extremely impressed with what I learned at that information session, and made my first appointment with the Penn Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Program. From that moment, I knew I had a team of compassionate experts on my side to help me reach my goals.

My surgeon, dietitian and support group leader became constant sources of support and encouragement. With their help, I lost 47 pounds before surgery and was ready to begin a new chapter in my life.

Determined to Succeed

Since I joined the Penn Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Program, I’ve lost almost 150 pounds, and have completely reinvented my life so I can continue to meet my lifestyle goals.

I wake up early to exercise every morning, and challenge myself with different activities. I track everything I eat to make sure I meet my nutritional guidelines. And I am having a ball shopping for my new, size 12 body.

I am also off all my hypertension medications and no longer have sleep apnea. I feel healthy and I have the energy to do the things I once thought I could not.

I’ve begun crossing things off my “bucket list” – things I could have never done before my weight-loss surgery. I took golf lessons, skied, and am training to run my first 5K race.

I feel fabulous and unstoppable!

But, perhaps the biggest difference is that I truly love myself. I put my needs first. I don’t care what other people think about me because I know I am healthy and strong.

I no longer hide in the shadows – I want to be seen and heard!

I never knew how good life could be until the team at the Penn Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Program helped me start living.

Get more information about weight-loss surgery at Penn

Learn if bariatric surgery is right for you and attend a free information session about the Penn Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Program.

At this free session, you will learn more about weight-loss surgery at Penn, and meet physicians and team members from the Penn Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Program.

Register for this free event here.

No comments:

Post a Comment